After living 4 years in the suburbs with our 2 dogs, cat, and 2 hens we finally bought some space. I would also like to say we owned 2 horses that we boarded at a nearby barn. We had been casually looking for more space either a bigger yard and garage in the burbs or a few acres. We stubled upon a place with 6 acres, a nice house and a barn. Its older and needs some work but the bones are good. The barn is big enough for 8 stalls with a paved center asile, and currently has 3 stalls in it. Panels for more stalls are sitting out in the barnyard. There was a lean to on the back of the barn that was completely enclosed with chicken wire. 2 of the 3 stalls were enclosed in chicken wire as well. More like a chicken barn than a horse barn anymore but it was fixable. But not to get off track.
Task 1. Sell suburb house and move. Due to the madness with the suburb house sale we had 10 days to move, oh and no movers. So my dear husband and I moved almost the entire house by ourselves. UGH! We did it though and surprisingly got fairly unpacked into the new house
Task 2. Move horses. Since we were worried the suburb house might not sell we decided to get the board bill cut out as soon as possible so we would be able to comfortably handle 2 mortgages. Thus 5 days after our moving marathon, we were bringing ponies home. All the chicken wire needed to be moved so that the chickens only had a 12' x 15' area instead of a 48' x 15' area.
My horse Emma doesnt sweat so she needs to be able to get out of the heat. Since we opened up the lean to area she hangs out there during the day to keep cool, she has a fan as well.
We also inherited 2 hens and a rooster with our new house. A few days after moving the horses in, Mark asks me if I had seen the hen with the clutch of eggs. Low and behold, one of my new hens had about 8 eggs on a shelf in the barn in between empty gas cans and she was brooding. Man was she mad when I took those eggs. I wasn't stupid, I saw the pissed off look in her eye. I went and found a stick and used that to roll the eggs to a safe location for me to grab them. She struck out at the stick 2 or 3 times, glad it wasnt my flesh!
Task 1. Sell suburb house and move. Due to the madness with the suburb house sale we had 10 days to move, oh and no movers. So my dear husband and I moved almost the entire house by ourselves. UGH! We did it though and surprisingly got fairly unpacked into the new house
Task 2. Move horses. Since we were worried the suburb house might not sell we decided to get the board bill cut out as soon as possible so we would be able to comfortably handle 2 mortgages. Thus 5 days after our moving marathon, we were bringing ponies home. All the chicken wire needed to be moved so that the chickens only had a 12' x 15' area instead of a 48' x 15' area.
My horse Emma doesnt sweat so she needs to be able to get out of the heat. Since we opened up the lean to area she hangs out there during the day to keep cool, she has a fan as well.
We also inherited 2 hens and a rooster with our new house. A few days after moving the horses in, Mark asks me if I had seen the hen with the clutch of eggs. Low and behold, one of my new hens had about 8 eggs on a shelf in the barn in between empty gas cans and she was brooding. Man was she mad when I took those eggs. I wasn't stupid, I saw the pissed off look in her eye. I went and found a stick and used that to roll the eggs to a safe location for me to grab them. She struck out at the stick 2 or 3 times, glad it wasnt my flesh!


No comments:
Post a Comment